Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Wheat Free Experiment

I've been reading the book Wheat Belly over the past month. It was of particular interest to me as my mom was diagnosed with celiac disease about 4 years ago. For anyone who hasn't heard of celiac disease, it is an autoimmune disorder that is aggravated by digestion of gluten. This is different than a wheat allergy but both encourage sufferers to go wheat free and celiac sufferers go gluten free.

In the book, the theory is that we can feel better, sleep better and lower our blood sugar (among other things) simply by saying goodbye to wheat and other whole grains. One of the most interesting things that I learned from the book is that a snickers bar has a lower glycemic index than 2 pieces of wheat bread. Think about that one for just a minute, you would have a lower blood sugar by eating a candy bar?

What's to blame for this? According to the book, it's the mutation of modern wheat.

I'm not quite sure how to feel about this book but I do think there's some truth to it. I followed Weight Watchers successfully before my pregnancy and lost over 30 lbs. However, it's been really hard to get back on the bandwagon nursing my son, going to graduate school and never getting a full night's sleep.

So starting tomorrow, I'm going to try to go on a wheat free test. Hopefully, if I'm successful I'll be updating with good news in a week that I actually lost weight. I'll post before and after pics and hopefully have good information on what to expect and how a wheat free lifestyle feels.

Til then I'm going to enjoy my dinner, grass fed steak tacos! Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment